ME AND MY SHADOW


        It was just before dawn as I ran along the wooded trails adjacent to my home.  I was making a slow and painful headway against a stiff autumn wind when dense fog settled all around me.  Suddenly, I felt as if something was coming up behind me.  My heartbeat quickened as did my pace.  Who or what was following me in the silent darkness?

          Was it a small animal searching for food?  Was it another lone runner seeking refuge and contemplation in the predawn stillness?  I turned around and looked behind me and thought I saw the black, shadowy figure of a woman following me.  She trailed me, hushed as the night, dancing between the trees as the sunlight flickered.  So I moved aside to avoid her presence, but I couldn’t escape her.  She was the immaculate outline of my shape, an echo of my movements, and my lifetime companion.  She was my shadow swirling in the mists, brought into being by the little flashlight I carried with me. 

But she’s more than my silhouette that disappears at night. 
She’s also my shadowy little self who, day in and day out, dogs me at every step adding her loud voice to every thought I think, every word I say, and every word I write.  She cares too much about what others think of her.  She’s an intolerant perfectionist; prideful, strong-willed, and compulsive often holding me captive to my own fears, doubts, anger, and worries.  She’s also weak  and, therefore, feels she must control a situation or others.  She shields herself from vulnerability, infiltrates my relationships, and occasionally  keeps me awake at night. She sometimes ignores the truth and lives in denial. She overshadows my spiriting and obscures my creativity. Unlike my daytime shadowy silhouette, she lives in darkness knowing that the light I carry in my heart steals her very life.  She is my ego.

Although the light I’m carrying with me is small in comparison to the darkness surrounding me, I turn and confront her.  “Not everything is about you,” I say.

“Possibly,” she replies, “but you do have to admit that the majority of things are.”

“From your perspective, yes. But you’re an ugly part of me and a burden; I’ve tolerated you way too long.  I need to let you go and contemplate the deeper significance of life.”

“You disappointment me,” she says.  “Enlightenment and transformation are highly overrated.  You need me. Just you wait and see.  You’ll come crawling back to me.” 

“No! You’re wrong!  I won’t need you. Just YOU   wait and see!”

Pshah! was her response as she disappeared in the early morning sunlight. 

I was transformed that morning, my ego shattered.  Over time, many of the things that concerned me diminished.  Many of the superficial, material things that mattered to me before, suddenly ceased to matter as much.  I came into being that morning no longer caring what my ego or the world thought of me. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A SCATHINGLY BRILLIANT IDEA

THE STICKER WEED INCIDENT

ADVENTURE DOWN A COUNTRY ROAD